Posted on May 1, 2017 in Blog |

Lynn’s journey began during a family football game on Thanksgiving Day, 2006. She pulled a tick off her arm later in afternoon. Two weeks later, Lynn developed a fever and back pain. She had no rash. She thought she had the flu. She mentioned the tick bite to her physician, but he assured her it was too early to see any symptoms of Lyme Disease. Nevertheless, he gave her 28 days of Doxycycline.

She returned a month later, still complaining of vertigo and back pain.

“You are anemic. You need to eat more protein.”

One afternoon, during a trip to the shopping mall, she had to lean down and place one hand on the floor and one on the wall to keep the world from spinning. The doctor treated her for an ear infection.

They ran the ELISA test twice, both returned negative.

Two months after her tick bite, Lynn’s personality was completely flat. A small group of girlfriends had flown from Texas to surprise her for her birthday. All she wanted to do was sleep. She couldn’t understand the jokes her girlfriends were giggling about.

By the end of January, she was in the Emergency Room with such fatigue she couldn’t catch her breath. She was jumbling her words, her speech slurred. This 34-year old mother of two toddlers was showing signs of a stroke.

A CT scan revealed peri-carditis. She was sent to a cardiologist, then a neurologist, and an endocrinologist. She visited nationally acclaimed medical centers in the Midwest, Florida and Virginia.

She said they told her they don’t know how to treat your Lyme, but we can tell you how to eat differently.

“Become a vegan,” one physician suggested.

From January through April, 2007, Lynn didn’t drive because of the vertigo and because she had gotten lost while driving the three blocks between her home and her daughter’s school. Significant memory loss followed. Her church started bringing dinners over because she was burning dinner every night. “I would forget I was even cooking any food,” Shannon admitted.

Two years after her tick bite, Lynn tested positive for Bartonella in Dr. Mozayeni’s office. Her brain and heart had become inflamed from the chronic infection.

Within months of starting treatment, Lynn was driving, cooking meals, and engaged with her two children. She even celebrated with a “Lynn is Back!” party with friends at a local restaurant.