Posted on Apr 1, 2013 in Blog |
April 2nd –
As part of a task to get myself writing more regularly, I have accepted The Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge #HAWMC.
What are five things I want them to know about my condition?
1. Lyme is called the masquerader because it imitates so many other diseases. It attacks the weakest part of a person’s immune system. In my family alone, our symptoms were all different. It was hard to believe we all suffered from the same infection.
2. ‘Lyme’ is not the only disease in this category. There is Lyme and then there is also: Bartonella, Babesia, Erlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Protomyzoa Rheumatica . . . and the list goes on. It’s NUMEROUS diseases that tend to fall under the ‘Lyme’ category.
3. The Lyme test from LabCorp and Quest is up to 60% INNACURATE. If you test negative to the test from these two labs, you may very well still have Lyme or a co-infection of Lyme Disease.
4. Ticks are not the only carrier of Lyme and its co-infections. You can catch it from cats (‘cat scratch fever’ is a form of Bartonella), mosquitos, flies, fleas, any type of blood sucking insect.
5. If your family pet has been diagnosed or treated for Lyme disease, your entire family should be tested for Lyme disease.